This is my favorite nestbox, I designed it with the following characteristics:
1. It is a front opening box. This makes it easier for mounting traps inside under the entrance hole. It is also easy to clean and monitor.
2. It has a very large roof with plenty of overhang all around. This keeps the box shaded in the daytime, and protected from water when it rains.
3. The roof has grooves underneath that further reduce the possibility of water entering the box. The roof also has a 5 degree slant to let the rain run off.
4. It can be made from a single 1x12 piece of wood, 3 ft. long.
5. The floor corners are cut off to allow ventilation up to the two vents in the sides, also to the entrance hole which is a vent as well.
6. It is light yet the floor space is approximately 30 square inches.
7. The inside of the front has a "ladder" cut under the entrance hole for birds to climb up.
8. A predator guard (doubling the thickness of the entrance) is optional.
Before constructing this box, please view both the construction plans and the construction photos using the links on the left.
Please feel free to send me, Fawzi Emad, any corrections, observations, comments or questions. Thank you! (The tail feather on the left is from Koko, our Blue-Front Amazon Parrot.)